Re:compression test procedure...

To: Cliff Pike <cpike@mgl.ca>, Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re:compression test procedure...
From: Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov (Bud Rolofson)
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 16:28:17 -0500
Cliff

Compare your dry test numbers to the manufacturers specifications.  If they are
considerably under the specs. THEN do the wet test.

A dry test can also tell you: that you might have a faulty head gasket if two
adjacent cylinders have low readings, or if the pressure builds up erratically
(as you crank the engine) the problem could be burned valve seats or sticky
valve guides.

A wet test is done to help diagnose WHY your compression is low, it is not done
to confirm low readings on the dry test.

e.g. On a wet test, if the compression increases to nearly normal then the
rings, piston, and cylinder (for that cylinder) are probably in need of service.

If the pressure does not increase then the valves are probably in
need of service. In this case the numbers would be in your friend's words
"fairly consistent" with the dry test readings which might cause you to miss
diagnosing the valve problem.

That's my understanding of compression tests.

Bud 71TR6 CC57365