compression test procedure...

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: compression test procedure...
From: Cliff Pike <cpike@mgl.ca>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 16:23:14 -0500
Listers:
Progressing slowly with TR3 TS30767 frame up rebuild, which brings me to
the engine. An ex-military diesel mechanic friend tells me that a proper
compression test is done in two stages: 'dry' and 'wet'. The dry test is
done before adding oil to the cylinders, Record the numbers, then add
oil and test again. According to him, if the numbers are fairly
consistent during both tests then the engine is in good shape. If the
'wet' test indicates higher numbers, then there could be a problem.
Anybody like to comment?
TIA
Cliff Pike
Guelph, Ontario