RE: tr6 gearbox/clutch q's

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: RE: tr6 gearbox/clutch q's
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 13:25:06 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>This begs the question of how does the switching work on this gearbox? My 76
>J-type definitely de-activates the solenoid during the 3-4 or 4-3 shifts.
   < snip >
************************************
On mine (Spitfire/GT6 three rail) it is actuated by the shifter rail
itself, the one in the top cover held on by four studs/nuts.  It protrudes
beyond the casing and a cast detent is secured to the shaft with a roll
pin.  The detent area is only in the neutral and 1-2 shift gate positions.
In the 3-4 gate position the switch is activated.  Does that help any?  I'm
not sure about the single rail with overdrive, but I have one at home and
will check it out if I remember tonight to see if in fact it stays actuated
in the 3-4 gate position also.  The switch is mounted directly on the top
cover (facing down) of that tranny and not on a bracket ( facing sideways
against the  detent) secured to the top cover as in the three rail.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire