Re: tr6 gearbox/clutch q's

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>, Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: tr6 gearbox/clutch q's
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 13:47:36 -0400
Barry Schwartz Writes:

>Someone correct me if I'm wrong (don't have to worry about that do we :-})
>and I am not positive (haven't looked at the detent on the top of the box
>in years), but if I remember correctly, the detent allows for solenoid
>actuation when the "gear lever" is anyplace in the 3-4 throw position.  In
>other words, the solenoid STAYS energized while shifting and is only
>de-energized when you move the lever into the neutral or 1-2 gate
>positions.  Should I go stand in the corner now?
>
>Barry Schwartz (San Diego) bschwart@pacbell.net
>
>72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
>70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
>70 Spitfire

Barry,

Different transmissions work in differently.  The TR6 transmission has a
switch
mounted on the top cover operated by the 3rd/4th operating fork which has
two
lumps for that purpose.  When the 3rd/4th operating fork is in the neutral
position,
which it is when neutral, 1st, 2nd or reverse is selected, the switch is
not operated.
Likewise, when moving between 3rd and 4th the switch is momentarily
deactivated.

The Austin Healey, in contrast has a switch mounted on the side of the
shift lever
mounting and is actuated whenever the lever is in the 3rd/4th operating
plane (as
you say).  I don't know how the spitfire transmission works, I've never
been into one.

Just goes to show that there was more than one designer over there working
on
transmissions.  And there is more than one way to skin a cat (fish).

Dave Massey