1374 Overdrive questions

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 1374 Overdrive questions
From: "DOUGLAS BYAM" <byam@iserv.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 05:10:22 -0400
A friend gave me a 1374 "A" type OverDrive unit and, as all good deeds
never go unpunished, it didn't work. After going though all the technical
information I could dig up ( the last "Moss Motoring" had an excellent
article) I determined the problem was hydraulic in nature. My tests with an
air hose were inconclusive but I did manage to "unstick" the sliding
member.

Now that I have spent hours removing the interior and tunnel I want to make
sure this unit is as good as possible before I put it in and button
everything up. My questions concern the Accumulator Piston and the two
Operating Pistons.

This unit uses the 1 3/4" Accumulator Piston with four metal rings
installed over two metal rings and the inner and outer springs. The bore
and the rings appear to be in good condition. The rings still have
concentric machining marks on the sealing face. There is some galling at
the rear of the piston. Do I need to make a $250.00 change to the 1 1/8"
diameter piston with a single spring to make this unit long term reliable?

The two Operating Pistons have "O" ring seals. I intend to replace the
rings with new ones. Both pistons have some galling at the rear adjacent to
the center shaft bushing. Should these pistons be replaced? Will reversing
them to put the galling outside be acceptable?

Regards, Doug Byam <byam@iserv.net>