Re: LBC insurance (opinions)

To: "Kevin B. Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Re: LBC insurance (opinions)
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas01@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 17:49:25 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Kevin B. Rhodes wrote:

> My regular
> insurance company (Geico) will gladly insure it for ~ $180 / year - but
> they tell me that they will only give me "a couple hundred dollars - it's a
> 1974 auto" if it is totaled.

This would be true if the car is in average shape for a 1974.  If for example
you
dump some money into new tires or engine and have the receipts the insurance
company will adjust their "offer" accordingly.

Remember, claims are a negotiation process.  You do not have to accept the
offer.  If you do have a major claim, the companies first offer will be low.  As
long as you are not unreasonable the company will negotiate.

That aside, you have to determine your risk factor.  Personnally, I drop
collision and comp when the premimum reaches 1/10 of the value of the car.  If I
"buy" a utility pole or the car burst into flame in the 7-11 parking I'm out of
luck.

However, if the car burst into flames in my garage or is stolen from the garage,
my homeowners policy covers it.  In theory, if I replace the car within one year
they will pay the full replacement price.

When my TR4A is ready to insure, I plan on getting regular liability as a third
car.  Cost, $600 dollars per year.  This may seem a little high, but my agent
said add and drop the coverage with just a phone call.  Assuming I use the car 6
months out of the year, it will cost me $300 each year for insurance.  No
restrictions.  Well, they won't pay for damages if I am racing the car.

Peter Thomas
CTC 66803 LO