Re: brit engineering ,lives

To: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: brit engineering ,lives
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 20:49:09 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, fred thomas wrote:

> fellow over there designed his own nitrous-oxide injection system with a
> solenoid micro valve switch to release the gas into the manifold for
> instant boost etc. and quick passing. While passing a Porsche the switch
> stuck open, while trying to turn off the ignition he suddenly realized he

Hmm... I bet that if a wire could be hooked into the actuating system that
would disengage the switch, then you could set a bowden cable under the
dash to yank if it ever got stuck.

I'm not sure how a micro solenoid valve works; but most solenoids are just
'electronic buttons'- they push or pull a plunger.  So it may be easy to
put a mechanical backup on the valve.

Or a secondary solenoid valve, normally open, that closes when you push a
kill switch.

Any ideas if the solenoid valve was rated for nitrous?  Is it volatile
enough that it would eat plastic / corrode metal / or generally cause
trouble?

-Malcolm