Re: Reluctant plugs

To: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Subject: Re: Reluctant plugs
From: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 09:56:09 -0600
Cc: suhring@lancnews.infi.net, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jack I. Brooks wrote:

> Scott,
>
> I never could get the filler plug out of the TR4 tranny in my TR3.  I
> ended
> up making a round plug out of a square one.  What I did was pull off
> the
> tranny cover, in neutral, measure the height from the bottom of the
> plug to
> top of tranny housing, less the cover, measure to that height on the
> inside
> and fill it up.
>
> The next time the tranny is out, I will have a 3 foot bar welded to
> the plug
> and pull it out.
>
> Jack Brooks
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++
>
> >Anyway, have the TR6 up on four stands and doing some underside
> work. Decided to change the transmission oil (haven't done this
> since I have owned the car and who knows when last done) since
> I have the car up and level. The drain plug unscrewed with a bit
> of a tug (didn't drain oil until I checked status of filer plug).
> You guessed it, can't budge the filler plug. Since it is on the
> side of the transmission housing, it is very awkward to get to.
> I used a 7/16" open end wrench but is starting to round the four
> edges of the plug. The 7/16" closed end won't fit over the plug
> since it seems to tapper (larger) off as it changes to the treads.
> The 1/2" is too large. I soaked, as best can do, in WD 40 and tried
> using a vise lock, but to no avail. I did get a 7/16" and 1/2"
> offset box wrench, but as noted above, the 7/16th won't fit
> down far enough and the 1/2" is too big.
>
> Any thoughts. If this is metric, what size wrench (type) would I
> need.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott Suhring
> Elizabethtown, PA
> "70 TR6

Scott and Jack,

The plug is a "pipe" plug and does have a tapered head.  If you have at
your disposal a small pipe wrench (the 6-7 inch) you can probably get
enough bite to remove the plug.  Just make sure you replace it with a
new plug or carry the wrench with you.

As always this is JMO.

Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4(with doors)