Reluctant plugs

To: suhring@lancnews.infi.net
Subject: Reluctant plugs
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 09:05:40 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Scott,

I never could get the filler plug out of the TR4 tranny in my TR3.  I ended
up making a round plug out of a square one.  What I did was pull off the
tranny cover, in neutral, measure the height from the bottom of the plug to
top of tranny housing, less the cover, measure to that height on the inside
and fill it up.

The next time the tranny is out, I will have a 3 foot bar welded to the plug
and pull it out.

Jack Brooks

++++++++++++++++++++

>Anyway, have the TR6 up on four stands and doing some underside
work. Decided to change the transmission oil (haven't done this
since I have owned the car and who knows when last done) since
I have the car up and level. The drain plug unscrewed with a bit
of a tug (didn't drain oil until I checked status of filer plug).
You guessed it, can't budge the filler plug. Since it is on the
side of the transmission housing, it is very awkward to get to.
I used a 7/16" open end wrench but is starting to round the four
edges of the plug. The 7/16" closed end won't fit over the plug
since it seems to tapper (larger) off as it changes to the treads.
The 1/2" is too large. I soaked, as best can do, in WD 40 and tried
using a vise lock, but to no avail. I did get a 7/16" and 1/2"
offset box wrench, but as noted above, the 7/16th won't fit
down far enough and the 1/2" is too big.

Any thoughts. If this is metric, what size wrench (type) would I
need.

Thanks,

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA