RE: bending fuel lines

To: "Wood, Jeff" <JWood@MediaOne.com>
Subject: RE: bending fuel lines
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 13:29:20 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "'Triumphs'" <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

On Sat, 25 Oct 1997, Wood, Jeff wrote:

> The problem I've had in the past is that the brake line is hard to
> collapse. What about heating the area to soften it, then make your
> flare?

A friend of mine (actualle, the previous previous owner of the TR4)
suggested to get the pipe hot just before flaring it.  I think the spec
was "just below cherry red".  Metalworking guys will know better than I.

I just left about 6" too much pipe onto my bends so I could give it 3 or 4
more tries if I goofed it.

My worst problem was inconsistent downward force by the tool-- ie, the die
that forms the 'bubble' wouldn't turn and the bubble would be shifted
off-center, causing a thin wall on one side and thick on the other.

I dropped a bit of thin oil on the brake line before flaring it, and made
SURE that the die would turn!

I also had the misfortune to break the center pin on the die.  The
replacement one I bought was too thick to use.  I started the flare with
the old (broken) one and finished with the new one, then doubled it out
with the cone.

The brake line must also be reamed (get a proper reamer) before flaring,
if you use a rotary pipe cutter.  Hacksaw is not recommended.  If you did
have to saw the hose, I guess you'd have to lap the end of the pipe flush
somehow (too much work-- get a pipe cutter!)

-Malcolm