Re: 1978 Spitfire help needed!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 1978 Spitfire help needed!
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 01:24:18 GMT
Josh writes:

>When I brake hard at an intersection or round a long turn at high speed,
>the oil pressure drops to nearly zero. I have checked the oil numerous
>times and keep it right on the full mark. Its eaten the third rod bearing
>before and I really would like to avoid an expensive and time consuming
>rebuild again. Now I know there is a lack of baffles in the pan, but I
>believe it should not drop so low as to damage the motor! Is there anyone
>out there who has experienced this problem before and found a solution? Or
>is it something I may have done wrong when rebuilding it? Any help on this
>would be greatly appreciated.

Well this is interesting...not good, but *interesting* nonetheless...
:-)

If my car is doing the same thing I'm afraid I'd not be aware of it.
With only the idiot light installed, mine could drop as low as 5psi
before the thing trips...I *think* that's the number.

Practically, it sounds like we need a lister who has fitted an oil
pressure gauge to his 1500 to report his experience.  When you use
the phrase: "brake hard at an intersection or round a long turn at
high speed ",  I'm guessing you mean *spirited driving* and several
notches down from real RACING...right?  :-)

The symptoms sound very much like an engine that's low on oil.  Have
you checked to see that the engine really does take most of the 5
quarts requires for an oil change? <U.S., with filter>  Just wondering
if the dipstick might be wrong...no other brilliant ideas to offer
just now I'm afraid. :-)

>Since a clutch transplant, I've been hearing some strange noises
>occasionally from the area of the gearbox. It usually rattles only off and
>on, but sometimes it does not stop. If I brake just right when coasting to
>a stop in neutral, it goes away. It does not matter if my clutch is in or
>out, or whether it is warm or cold. I suspect the throw-out bearing, which
>I did not change with the clutch rebuild

Hmm..another toughie!

I would expect that a bad throw-out bearing, spigot bush or even
transmission bearings would manifest themselves with a sound that
changed in some way when you step on the clutch, rev engine, etc.
Since that's not happening my guess is the problem lies elsewhere.
Dumb question...does the "rattling" sound disappear when you lightly
grab the shifter?  No chance you lost the little spring loaded
anti-rattle thingy in the base of the shift lever, right?  Mine flew
out onto my gravel driveway during a rebuild the summer...fun time
finding it! :-)

> I orded the three in one clutch kit for my model spitfire. The pressure
>plate and disc fit fine, but my release bearing had a pin  to secure it,
>but the one from Moss did not. Maybe I am mechanically inept, but I just
>could not figure it out.

The throw-out bearing is a very light press fit...no pin.  Sounds like
some DPO got creative...OR:

> Is it possible that the clutch fork is from another
>car, or is there a way to get the bearing on that I do not know about?

You might be confusing the bearing itself with the throw-out bearing
*sleeve*.  This part is indeed "pinned"  to the fork. You don't need
to remove it tho', just use a small puller to grab only the outer part
of the TO bearing.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits