My cheapest ever performance improvement...

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: My cheapest ever performance improvement...
From: Mark Sinclair <msinclair@dis-inc.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 17:07:16 -0700
My cheapest ever performance improvement..........alias Mark's embarrassing
little story for Monday morning.
So a few months ago, ...OK about a year now, I install this Weber DGV on my
64 Spitfire - didn't really expect much in the way of performance
improvement since it was replacing twin SU's, just fewer hastles.
At the time I remember thinking that I possibly wasn't getting the full
throttle opening since you pretty much had to bury the pedal into the floor
to get things going - but overall performance was about the same so I
didn't bother to check it properly - plus, it's a bit inconvenient to do by
yourself, the electric choke seems to stop the second barrel from opening
when the engine is cold.
Anyway, this weekend I finally got around to getting some longer threaded
rod for the accelerator linkage - mostly just to bring the pedal back up to
the correct height above the floor.
Wow - what a difference, I guess the second barrel on the carb is finally
opening up properly.
This probably also explains why I was able to run so much timing advance
without knocking under load - had to retard it about 5 degrees to get it
too run properly.
Well - got that off my chest - maybe it's step one of the twelve step
program for DP(resent)O's - on with the week.
Mark Sinclair
very battered 63 MK1 - but now much faster