Re: Beating the Lucas Demons

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Beating the Lucas Demons
From: George Richardson <gprtech@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 07:23:31 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Malcolm Walker wrote:

> Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of the power lead on the
> starter.  The only time it should be physically moved is when you take off
> the lead.  Gold plating would work, but I can't afford it.
>
> I'm wondering,though-- why does chrome plating 'pit', and rust?  Does it
> have to be chipped first?
>
> -Malcolm

On the starter wire terminals, even paint would deter corosion. On the
TR 4 banger, the starter & terminals are exposed to all sorts of road
crud, allowing easy corosion. You could also try getting some rubber
boots from another type of vehicle & covering the terminals.

As far as chrome goes, my understanding is that it allows the passage of
moisture, which allows the base metal that it's plated on to rust or
corode. Chrome should always have some protective coating like wax.
--
George Richardson
'57 TR3, TS15559L