Re: Audible buzzer

To: trevor.jordan@rmit.edu.au, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Audible buzzer
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 09:53:01 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-10-07 00:47:06 EDT, trevor.jordan@rmit.edu.au writes:

> I have not studied the TR6 wiring diagram or given the problem much
>  thought, but I simply intended to connect the buzzer between ground and
the
>  little green indicator light in the speedo.

Trevor:

The turn signal indicator light in a TR6 is a very interesting circuit. One
side of the bulb is connected to the right hand turn signal lights, and the
other side is connected to the left hand turn signal lights. When, for
example, the right hand turn signal is on, power is applied to the right side
lamps and the indicator bulb, and the indicator bulb finds a path to ground
through the left hand turn signal lamps. The opposite occurs when the left
hand turn signals are on.

As you can see, with this arrangement, the buzzer will only sound when you
are using the side which the buzzer is connected to. When using the other
side, there will be no voltage on the buzzer.

>  If this circuit is load sensitive and the buzzer disrupts the turn
>  indicators, I will remove the indicator bulb from the speedo.  The current
>  required by the buzzer should be similar to that of the indicator bulb.

If you are willing to remove the indicating lamp, and I see no reason not to,
then you can replace it with a buzzer, provided a) that you wire it in just
like the bulb, b) the impedance of the buzzer is suitable, approximately the
same as the indicator lamp, and c) the buzzer is not polarity sensitive.

>  If that does not fix it, I will have to get serious.  The really useful
>  information in the original message was the source of a suitable buzzer.

Coming home from the 6-Pack Trials in Indiana Sunday, I drove for several
miles with my turn signals happily blinking away. When you come up with a
scheme, please post it, as I would like to make that addition to my own car.
Right now, I am thinking of going with the three terminal hazard flasher, and
using one of the electronic chimes that Radio Shack sells. I gotta do
something! It's bad enough that people make fun of my "funny little furrin'
car," but now they're starting to crack jokes about that senile old man, with
his turn signals blinking away.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74