Re: '70 TR6 alt

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: '70 TR6 alt
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 22:22:03 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
DANMAS@aol.com wrote:

> Scott:
>
> Go to:
>
> http://www.vtr.org/maintain/alternator/conversions.html
>
> After you have read the introductory section, then link over to the TR6
> section. I think the material there will help to clarify what you have.
>
> Dan Masters,
> Alcoa, TN
>
> Dan:

Thanks. Your article clarified my wiring, which matches exactly. My unit
does have the additional black ground wire coming from the back of
the alternator (snaps into the the neg terminal along with the Br/W wire
which goes into the positive terminal). The ground wire attaches to the
engine block. Would the GM conversion also require a ground wire? I
assume
if so, I'd just attach to the same location as is on the Lucas model.

I also read your personal experience and am concerned as to the work
required
to get the alternator properly mounted. Also, in changing the belt, did
this
have any impact on the water pump (i.e. the width of the belt used for
the GM
vs what is now used on my Lucas)?

Thanks for the article. Not sure if that's the route I'll take but it
certainly
answered my wiring questions.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA