tr6 outer waist seals

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: tr6 outer waist seals
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 16:44:03 -0600
I have a set of outer door waist seals for my TR6 which need installing.
The old ones are removed and my door panels are off (for other reasons).
I noticed that Haynes has a picture of a mysterious tool which appears
to be the right instrument to firmly slide the clips and seals into
position. The tool exists only as a picture in the book however
(complete with dimensions!) as I can find no refernece to the tool in
the text. Bentley has absolutuely nothing on this anywhere.

So has anyone done this? (Rhetorical question, TRF claims they sell
hunderds of these kits every year!). What is the secret? Do the clips go
on the seal first and then the "tool" pulls the assembly into postion on
the door? Or do the clips go on the door first and then the seal is
pressed down while the tool holds the clips in place?

As far as I can see, the rearmost groove on the seal is too far back to
fit with the  rear window channel in place. Does the rear window channel
need to be removed (or loosened) to allow the rearmost clip to be
installed while positioned in its intended groove on the seal?

Any help from those with experience greatly appreciated!

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada