Re: TR6 speedo help needed

To: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: TR6 speedo help needed
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 13:58:00 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Philip E. Barnes wrote:

> Since the speedo in my car doesn't work, or rather doesn't
> indicate speed in MPH, I need some help from the list.
> I figured out the speed vs. RPM relationship based on the gear
> ratios and tire size for my non-O/D car and come up with 64 MPH
> in 4th gear at 3000 RPM. Does this sound about right?

Yes.  A quick rule of thumb for a TR6, and probably as
accurate as a Smiths speedo, is to double the number shown
on the tach when in 4th, convert to the right range, and
read it as MPH.  Thus, 2500RPM -> 50MPH, 3000RPM -> 60MPH,
etc.

My '74 TR6 has a speedo that reads about 20% high, and
also bounces at high speed.  I have used the tach as
my "speed gage" for years -- such that even when I'm in
my '70 TR6, where the speedo works just fine, I ignore
the speedo, and use the tach to measure speed...

> You never get done fixing these cars, do you?

Nope, but that's part of the fun...  :-) :-)

--ken
'70 & '74 TR6 Daily Drivers

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com