Re: Cooling System

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: Cooling System
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 23:20:00 -0400
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Peter Zaborski wrote:

> Any suggestions on what to do? Backflushing? (I don't really know
> what this is). ANy other suggestions?

Backflushing would be a good idea, and should be sufficient.

To do this on a TR6, I would suggest the following.  Note
that the following is probably more involved than would be
necessary if done regularly.  I generally do the following
each fall, but without disconnecting the bottom radiator
hose.

Buy a "Flush and Fill Kit" by Prestone, or your favorite
coolant vendor, from any auto parts store.  This kit comes
with a "T" fitting that connects a garden hose into a
heater hose.

Drain the coolant out of the cooling system, and dispose
of properly.

If you have an old spare heater hose (the one from the bulkhead to
the pipe under the manifold) cut it in two, and mount the "T"
fitting in it.  Connect one end of a garden hose to this, and the
other end of the garden hose to a faucet.  Then, replace the heater
hose in your TR6 with the spare hose with the garden hose "teed" in.

Take off the radiator cap, and use the radiator cap "spout" that
comes with the fill kit.  From this spout will come lots of
water, so point it in the direction that you don't mind getting
wet.  (I wouldn't suggest pointing at the distributor.)  On my
TR6, I remove the radiator shroud, and then direct the spout
towards where the shroud had been (straight towards the front
of the car.)

Make sure that the heater water valve is open (on), and turn on
the faucet.  Water will run through the system, and out the top
of the radiator cap, with dirt, rust, scale, and whatever.
Now that water is running through the system, start the car.
Let it run like this for about 5 minutes.  Then, turn off the
car, turn off the faucet, and disconnect the bottom radiator
hose.  Again turn the faucet back on, start the car, and let
it run about 5 minutes.  Again turn off the car, and the faucet.

Reconnect the bottom radiator hose.  Remove the "T" fitting
heater hose, and replace the good heater hose.  (If you don't mind
leaving the "T" fitting in your car, you can leave it right there,
and simply cap off the garden hose attachment in it -- a cap will
come with the kit for this purpose.)  Remove the spout from the
radiator cap.

Now, fill up the system with your standard 50/50 coolant/water mix,
replace the radiator cap, and re-install the radiator shroud.
You're done!  The above procedure only takes about 1 hour if you
have done it before.  Save the hose with the "T" fitting
for next year...

If you're replacing the water pump, I would do the flushing with the
old pump in place, and then leave the system empty, and install the
new water pump.  Then repeat the new flushing immediately after
installing
the new pump, to flush out anything that got in the lines while
installing the pump.  Finally, replace all hoses, and fill up
with 50/50 coolant/water mix.

--ken
'70/'74 TR6 Daily Drivers

--