Re: Wiper Motors & Part Failure

To: "(dave eaton)" <dezn490@wadnr.gov> (Return requested), "Triumph Group" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: Re: Wiper Motors & Part Failure
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 10 Apr 1997 15:54:34 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 09ECC334D6FAA0D4-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 10 Apr 1997 15:54:34 -0700
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 10 Apr 1997 15:54:34 -0700
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <09ECC334D6FAA0D4*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Dave/List Members -

I disassembled my wiper motor last night.  Interesting, everything was where
it should be, however, there was a definite "smell" of burnt electrical
wires.  By the way, I really blew it on the description of the innards.  My
mind is fried.

If you look at the set up for the two brushes, there is a little spring that
keeps the tension on them and keeps them in contact with the rotor.  The
spring is connected to the two brushes with a pair of little tiny "T" shaped
non-conductive pieces.  One of the "T" pieces on my motor broke, and that is
what I fabricated.  And, in fact, all of the pieces were still in place, all
were properly lined up, the brushes were still in place, etc.  In other
words, the damn thing SHOULD be working based upon a visual inspection and
the fact that it worked when I bench tested it after fabricating the little
non-conductive piece..

So, I am baffled at this point.  I did clean everything (brushes, rotor,
etc.) up with 600 grit paper, etc.  It appears that moisture go inside the
motor as there was some evidence of rust on the inside of the case.
 However, when I put it all back together and hooked it up to a 12 volt
source, nothing happens.  Did I fry the motor for good and is it terminal?
 My knowledge of electrical systems is very basic and I have never fully
understood what happens when you overload or short an elecrtic motor - why
does it no longer run?  (BTW, I overloaded my Dremel Mototool recently too,
and changing the brushes did not help there either).  Can anyone advise me
of a solution beside never driving in the rain?  Thanks.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4