Re: Wanted: TR6 studs for securing Steering Col

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Wanted: TR6 studs for securing Steering Col
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 14:41:51 -0500
Hello Ken S. and anyone else who's curious,

You were asking about the 2 studs that mount in the metal dash, to
hold your steering column.  I was out to Dad's barn this morning,
looked at the parts car ('75 TR-6, CF37749U  built April)  and
here's what I found:
These studs are spot-welded to the dash, that may explain their
unusual flat head.  They point toward the front of the car.
Mounted to them, with double nuts (i.e. lock-nuts) is a casting
of pot metal or white metal, whatever the proper term is, which
is a sort of cradle bracket for the steering column.  It looks
like a mating upper half, a clamp of some sort, bolts to it, but
that part has already been removed from this car by the PO when
he parted it out the first time (yes, I'm scavenging here, but
the hulk was abandoned in the barn, guess it's mine now).

If your problem is that these studs are loose in your car, I
can't suggest much, since your wood dash would probably have
to be moved to get at them, even to replace them with some other
type of bolt.  It may be that the cast bracket has somehow come
loose on the studs, although the one I just saw was firmly held
in place by the double nuts.  Maybe the top clamping piece is
loose, if you can get at the hardware to tighten that, maybe
your column's movement can be stopped.

Good luck, get back with any questions -
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio
'72 TRident 750cc  basket case