Re: GT6 Rear suspension

To: bschwartz@encad.com
Subject: Re: GT6 Rear suspension
From: Dave Fain <KC3565L@sprintmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 22:40:31 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Barry (or anybody...):
I have experienced the dreaded jacking (wanking?) effect of
the GT6 MkI swing axles and have been scared s***less of it
on twisty roads ever since.  I just picked up a complete
rotoflex suspension (actually the back 24" or so of the frame
with the suspension still attached) and was following the
thread on this swap a couple of weeks ago.  I have a few
questions:
1. How can I tell by looking at them if the rotoflex
joints need to be replaced since I gather that replacing
them on the car is a major pain?
2. Can they be replaced on the car without pulling the outer
part of the suspension, thereby fouling up the alignment?
3. There was some mention of welding in reinforcements on the
body tub.  I think that was referring to the wheel well shock
mountings, so if I buy the brackets that attach to the original
shock mounting, will that eliminate any problems with the body?
I am not anxious to rip the carpet off the wheel wells.
4. I know the radius arm attachments have to be moved inward.
How big a deal is this?  Just drill holes and put a plate on
the inside to reinforce it?
5. The deal included a Spitfire 1500 front sway bar that is
noticeably heavier than the original one.  Is this a direct
replacement for the other one?
I have a rough axle bearing (and no doubt a trashed axle) so
I figure I may as well go ahead with the conversion since I
have to tear it apart anyhow. I want to have it back on the
road in time for the Glenwood Rallye in June so I need to get
serious about this pretty soon.
Thanks, Dave Fain
1967 GT6 (George of the Jungle)