Re: TR4 tranny

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 tranny
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 21:23:18 -0500
Hello Bob, saw your post :

>My transmission is driving me nuts!  In the last couple of weeks I've noticed
>that
>when I shift down from 3rd to 2nd I get much resistance if not the orchestra
in the
>tranny.  The master cyl. and slave cyl. are new, but the fluid has turned
dark
 >I changed/bleed the system twice.  Is the problem probably with my tranny?

Since it sounds like you've checked the clutch, and it's working, that's
probably not the trouble with the 3rd to 2nd downshift.  Usually clutch
problems will be most apparent when trying to get into gear from a stop,
meaning the trouble will be with getting into 1st or reverse...you'll
get clashing since the drive / driven plates are not well separated.

Since the 3rd to 2nd shift involves crossing over to different spring
release loads, maybe that's what you're noticing; the 3,4 synchros are
listed (Haynes manual, Ch 6) at 19 to 21 lbs, while the 1,2 synchros are
listed at 25 to 27 lbs.  I take this to mean that the 4 to 3 shift takes
less force on the shifter knob than the 3 to 2 (or 2 to 1) shifts.

Also, if by `the orchestra' you mean that there's Heavy Metal noise
when you attempt the shift, maybe your synchros / thrust washers or even
gear bushes are worn out.  I have heard that the synchro rings (cups)
are the first things to wear out on TR transmissions - don't know if
this is actually true, but surely have heard it often enough.

How many miles on your car ?  Is your tranny topped up with the `correct'
oil ? (I think that's Castrol Hypoy B, GL-4, 90 wt, or equivalent, right ?)

One more thing: are you attempting this down-shift at high RPM ?  I
THINK that has some consequence here; does it, Fellow Motorheads ?

Hope this helps some,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio