TR3/3A/4/4A Rear Oil Seal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3/3A/4/4A Rear Oil Seal
From: Jeff Williamson <jaws@mich.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 15:40:36 -0400
Hi all,

I'm new to the list, but have enjoyed reading your comments and
pondering your questions over the past couple of weeks.

I just finished a complete frame-off restoration on a 1958 TR3A which I
have owned for may years. It has ALWAYS leaked oil, but I always assumed
it was leaking around the oil pan, and since the car was seldom driven
far at any one time, no big deal.

After the restoration, which included a complete engine overhaul, I
still noticed a leak after short drives around the neighborhood, but
after a 3-hour trip, the leak turned into a pour (a quart every 40
miles). The leaking oil also found it's way onto the clutch which caused
clutch slippage. This oil also found it's way into the overdrive
solenoid somehow, and caused it to malfunction. All this made for a fun
trip with the top down !!!

Because I had replaced the oil pan gasket and the sealing felt around
the rear main bearing block, the problem must surely lie with the rear
oil seal. It was one of the few parts which I did not replace during the
rebuild (stupid me). The old seal did not appear to be damaged in any
way, but I'm not sure what I should have looked for. I have since
ordered and received a new seal, which I am preparing to install this
weekend. The problem may become apparent when I am able to compare the
old and new seals.

The rear seal comes in two halves, an upper and a lower, which bolt to
the rear end of the engine. Both halves are of metal construction and
have grooves or ridges which match with identical groves or ridges on
the crankshaft. I noticed that neither the old or new seals have any
type of sealing rubber.

My real question is this --- Is there supposed to be some type of
sealing rubber on this seal? or is the oil supposed to be contained by
the grooves? If there is supposed to be some sort of rubber seal, what
is it and where can I find it?

Any advice on this subject would help. Thanks

Jeff Williamson
Belleville, MI
1958 TR3A (Almost back on the road again !!!)