Spit Front Wheel Bearings

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit Front Wheel Bearings
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 07:55:51 -0400
Triumphant Ones;

OK, I finally replaced my front wheel bearings on Saturday, and
after driving the car yesterday, everything seems OK. One question
came up while I was installing the bearings though.

Which way 'round does the seal go? Felt to the bearing or felt to
the hub? I faintly remember replacing the bearings sometime in the
past... Like 15 years ago, and I couldn't remember which way the
felt went in. I thought that I put in the replacement seals the
same way that the original ones came out, but I had the felt against
the bearing. The drawing in the factory manual isn't very clear, and
it appears that the felt is against the backing plate.

Did I mess up the last time or this time?

BTW, Went to Waterford Hills yesterday, good racing but cold weather.
TR6 and Spit won their classes in the class race, in the feature, the
'6 broke an axle on the restart (Spec Racer flipped). Different Spit
and GT6 each won it's class. Looked like a production race of old,
TR6, Spits, GT6, Bug Eye and Spridgets.

Doug Mitchell
dmitchel@ford.com
dmitchel@ismi.net