Mult-carb tuning

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Mult-carb tuning
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 96 11:20:31 PDT
OK SOLers,

I'll admit it, I'm absolutely clueless when it comes
to tuning carbs, especially twin Strombergs on my '74 TR6.

The story so far; I purchased a rebuild kit 2 years ago
and carefully noted all settings before the rebuild.  I must have
been very lucky because the car ran better after the rebuild and
even passed smog.

Last month, to pass (California) smog, I replaced the main jets and
leaned it out a little.  After passing smog I enrichened the mixture
but I'm far from satisfied.

The symptoms?  Popping on overrun, hunting on a steady throttle,
and coughing when cold.  It accelerates fine, and idles well.
I dont see how changing the mains could do this, but maybe I
"bumped" something.

I'm not sure now how to proceed.  The Haynes manual has precious
little.  Should I:
        - purchase a carb balancing tool?
        - purchase the Bently manual?
        - offer a human sacrifice to the Dark Lord Lucas?

Can anyone offer this poor soul (and others) a tutorial on the
mysteries of these "ancient" devices?

        Shane Ingate and poppin' TR6 in San Diego