Re: I Need help with Ball Joint Installation!

To: KMNTR6@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: I Need help with Ball Joint Installation!
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 96 10:42:58 EDT
Cc: rtr@tsquare.com
On Aug 16, 10:09am, KMNTR6@aol.com wrote:
> it is so tight in there that I couldn't get any swing with
> the hammer. I understand that there is a ball joint separator
> or fork tool or something that I can use to finish the job. What
> kind do I need and where do I find one?

Hi Ken,
    There are basically two kinds of ball joint separators - the
pickle fork kind and a small press type.  I've had better luck
with the press type.  If you want to drive all the way out to
my place, you can borrow mine.  Otherwise you can probably find
them at your local auto parts store - if not, Vicky Brit sells
them pretty cheaply.  However, there's another trick that you
might try first.  Take a heavy sledge hammer or splitting wedge
(NO - don't mash the balljoint with it!) and hold it next to
the *side* of the vertical link.  Then using your regular hammer,
hit the opposite side of the vertical link.  Basically what this
does is to spring the hole in the vertical link so that its
(transiently) oval rather than round and the ball joint will
often pop right out.  Is that clear?

good luck,

John Lye

rjl6n@uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU