TR6 Clutch Replacement and Tires

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Clutch Replacement and Tires
From: LARRY.DAVIS@ccmail.arnold.af.mil
Date: 06 Aug 96 16:04:00 -0500
Alternate-recipient: Prohibited
Autoforwarded: FALSE
Conversion: Allowed
Conversion-with-loss: Allowed
Delivery-date: 06 Aug 96 16:04:00 -0500
X400-content-type: P2-1984
X400-mts-identifier: [/PRMD=aedc/ADMD= /C=us;XGW-960806161307-0700-01990]
X400-originator: LARRY.DAVIS@ccmail.arnold.af.mil
X400-recipients: triumphs@autox.team.net
     I have seen a lot of traffic recently regarding TR6 clutches.  I began
     getting my TR6 running after 8 years in storage.  Engine runs, but
     found out I had a bad clutch master cylinder.  Replaced master
     cylinder, then found out slave cylinder also was bad (both ordered
     from TRF.  TRF called me about the fit of the slave cylinder to the
     mounting hole.  Said they had some trouble with fit.  Mine was not a
     problem, but I thought it was nice of them to call and check anyway).
     While having my son pump the clutch pedal while I bled the slave
     cylinder, he said that it wouldn't go to the floor anymore.  I smashed
     my foot on the clutch pedal and it went to the floor, but I blew the
     guts out of the slave cylinder.  While I was putting that back
     together, I noticed that the arm coming from the clutch housing was
     swaying in the breeze.  I assume that I had a frozen clutch, and that
     I have broken something inside the housing.  I am now in the process
     of removing the interior so that I can pull the tranny.

     Does anyone have any "lesson learned" from working on TR6 clutches?

     Has anyone tried the new TRF clutch that they are pushing?  I have
     already seen the comments on the Laycock and B&B.

     Just a word on tires.  I have 195/75-15 Uniroyal Tiger Paws on my TR6.
     I had run across the dimensions of the Michelin red-lines in a
     Michelin catalog several years ago (about 1987) and these were a real
     close match.  They look real good on car.  A tire shop once told me a
     rule of thumb to add 10 for every 5 increase (i.e 185/80 goes to
     195/75 goes to 205/70 etc.).  At the time these tires were bought, a
     lot of cars were using this size still.  Don't know if they are still
     available other than in a truck tire.

     This is a great service, and I enjoy reading most of the comments.

     Larry Davis
     Tullahoma, TN
     69 TR6