Re: TR6 Rear End Sag

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Rear End Sag
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 10:59:52 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

I'll just repeat what Tom said:

Get a rebuilt rear hub from a reliable source on a core basis.

Just about everybody I know with an IRS TR has bent at least one of the
wheel flanges trying to take them apart without the right tool.

I'll also state that even with the right tool, this job is a real pain in
the rear (pun intended).

My experience was that the guy at the shop said he could get the hub
apart. When he handed it back to me he said "Jeez mistah, I put over 2
tons or force on it, and it wouldn't come apart." It was very difficult
for me to resist trying to figure out how much force it would take to
cram the now-useless hub assembly down the orifice of choice of said
mechanic! He had bent the flange about 1/4" or more.

Moral: I was out $$$ for a new hub. And, my action meant that somebody
else had to "sacrifice" a hub.

There are a number of shoppes that rebuild these units, I suggest
contacting them. Roadster Factory is reliable, but expensive. There's a
guy in North Carolina who does them for less money, I have seen him at
many East coast British Car events. If you need a number, get in touch
with me directly. I have seen others advertize, I have no idea of the
success rate at those shops. Also note: you can buy "used" hub assemblies
and bolt 'em in, but how long they last is a crap-shoot at best.

Good luck!

rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: You'll have to talk to my attorney about that topic...