Re: TR6: Diff question

To: 74106.1335@compuserve.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6: Diff question
From: TR6Massey@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 16:28:58 -0400
In a message dated 96-05-15 21:36:41 EDT, 74106.1335@CompuServe.COM (Bruce A.
Krobusek) writes:

>I have a used diff of unknown parentage and I was wondering if there was an
>easy way to find out whether it was worth trying to use or not. I know I
>could
>put it on the car and find out that way, but I'm looking for a
>quick-and-dirty
>test (or tests) that I can do to at least see if it's worth installing or
>not.
>
>Any ideas are welcome!
>
>     - BAK -

Bruce,

You could turn it by hand and see if it turns smooth.  If it has been sitting
a long time it may be a little stiff and sticky and may require a few
revolutions to clear up.  If you need a wrench to turn it, pitch it.

Also drain out the oil and check for water or solid bits of differential.  A
few shavings are normal.  Put in fresh oil and test turn.

If this test says everything is OK then the next test is a load test.  You
can pry (prise) on the various flanges and look for excessive movement.
 Excessive movement will indicate bad bearings.

All the above testing will not tell you if the gear teeth are worn.  The only
way is to install it into a car and test drive.

Have fun and remember "this is only a hobby".

Dave
TR6Massey@aol.com