Re: Restoration,1967 TR4A

To: husband@humboldt1.com
Subject: Re: Restoration,1967 TR4A
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Thu, 16 May 96 22:55:10 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>My favorite car, driven daily from 1974 thru 1992, is still in good basic
>shape, but
>nefeds complete cosmetic and mechanical restoration.  I'd like to take it to a
>place
>where one shop which specializes in Triumph work will rehabilitate it so I can
>drive it
>for another 20 years!
>
>Does anyone know of such a business anywhere along the West Coast:  Northern
>California
>would be preferred, but I'd consider any place between Mexico and Canada.
>
>Thanks
>George Husband

George,
 I have doen several restorations, unfortunately, I cannot help you
atthis time.
 I just wanted to let you know what to expect from this project by taking
it to a restoration shop and give you some info on several things to
watch for.
 First, whoever you choose to do the job, ask for references and look at
some of their past work.
 Second, specify materials and quality you expect for your money.
 Third Agree only to an itemized estimate sheet with minor provisions for
cost overruns in materials and parts.
 Finally, be prepared to part with your car for up to a year unless you
set a time frame in advance and, don't agree to monthly payments unless
that is the only way you can budget the restoration.
 Most importantly, get everything in writing. If changes are made by the
restorer, be sure that you specify that you are to be contacted for
approval in advance of any changes.
 I have restored a number of cars over the last 33 years and my biggest
gripe is the way "shops" take advantage of the customer n shortchanging
them on materials and TIME>
 There is no reason for a restoration to take a year or more.
 Don't mean to sound like the eternal pessimist, but I have seen more
than my share of $8,000 restorations that look like they were done by
vocational classes at technical schools, and just wish to instill a note
of caution to you.
Best Regards,
Tony
"GT6s"         4 of 'em