RE: TR6 sticky clutch when hot

To: trs@turkey.gsh.jhu.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR6 sticky clutch when hot
From: Bruce Harding <Bruce_Harding@ccm2.hf.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 96 09:27:00 PDT
Peter,

Regarding you message:

      >Does anyone have ideas on why my clutch would become hard to engage
      >smoothly when the car's warmed up? Gently relieving pressure on the
      >pedal, it sticks, then drops in suddenly. It's not totally on/off - but
      >it makes it hard to drive smoothly. It is very smooth until it's warm.

      >It could be the hydraulics(?), but I think it might be a sticky bushing
      >or something. I haven't bled the clutch.

I had the same problem occur with my TR6 last fall.  It turned out to be
the release bearing (throw out bearing) was sticking on the transmission
shaft.  It gradually got worse as time went by.  It would feel fine when
cold but got worse as the car warmed up.  If I turned the motor off, it
would feel fine again even if the car was fully warmed up.  One of the TRF
filers had a tech note concerning this last fall.  When installing a new
clutch kit you should lubricate the transmission shaft so the throw out
bearing doesn't 'drag'.  I don't remember what they said to lubricate it
with.  I was lazy and had a shop fix mine.

Bruce_Harding@ccm.hf.intel.com
57 TR3
66 TR2000
75 TR6