new member with question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: new member with question
From: mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu (Tim Gaines)
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 17:23:40 -0500
Hello,

   I just found "triumphs" out on the web this afternoon, and it sounds
like an interesting list.  I have just subscribed, so I thought I would
introduce myself and then immediately ask for help.  I hope I am in the
right place.

   My name is Tim Gaines and I am a professor of experimental psychology.
I own a 1980 Spitfire 1500 which I love, despite the fact that it
occasionally infuriates me.  I have had it for about six years now, and
on the whole it is a much more reliable car than the 1965 Spitfire Mk II
I had in college and for years afterward.

   My most recent problem is with the auto-choke on the Stromberg
carburetor  This thing works by having a bi-metal spring react to the
coolent temperature to set the choke position.  Well my spring seems to
have been "sprung" at some time, and the aligning mark on the spring
housing does not give the proper setting.  I have loosened the screws
probably 20 times just trying by trial and error to get the setting right.
I think I have done it now, and in so doing I stripped the threads in one
of the mounting screw holes.  One was already stripped when I bought the
car, so that leaves me with only one screw holding things in place.  The
auto-choke housing costs about $130 new.  Do I need to buy it, or is there
some way to use a larger, self-tapping screw that would do the job?

   Thanks for any help you can give.  I'm sure I'll be back for more help
on a new problem soon.

Tim

Tim Gaines                   phone: 864-833-8349
Psychology Department        fax: 864-833-8481
Presbyterian College         email: mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu
Clinton, SC  29325