Engine Noise

To: Triumph Questions <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Noise
From: Robert Norway <examiner@nexusprime.org>
Date: Thu, 09 May 1996 20:37:30 -0400
HELP!! I've got a big problem with my '76 Spit.

All of a sudden, I started hearing a rumbling noise from under the
bonnet. Very noticeable at low rpm when a load is initially applied.
At first I thought I had something loose up front. After I got it to the
house, further investigation showed nothing loose, but noise (almost
like marbles rattling in a can) was still there.

At first I thougt 'Damn, main bearings, crank, timing chain, etc', but
then I thougt maybe water pump. Had no leaks but decided to remove the
fan belt and see if the noise went away. And it DID! So I ordered a new
pump and two weeks later, today, I put it in. Guess what??? NO FIX!!!
Still had the noise.

So, I'm back to thinking main bearing as I figured it only makes the
noise with the pressure of the fan belt on it. Sound like an idea???

Any thoughts on the subject would be very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Cheers and Happy Motoring

bob