Re: Engine painting, vendor kvetching, and Spitfires

To: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com
Subject: Re: Engine painting, vendor kvetching, and Spitfires
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 14:43:12 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Thu, 9 May 1996 lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com wrote:

> So on painting the block and head - what should and shouldn't be painted?
> I've seen examples of engines with the whole engine painted black, but
> what about mating surfaces, internal surfaces, etc? Should the engine
> be painted before assembly? How have you all out there painted engines?
> How about the heads - how do you paint them?

I'd try to keep the actual mating surfaces free of paint; beyond that,
paint it all. The inside of the block could be painted with Glyptal (?)
or similar to promote oil drainage. Beyond that, any other areas that
are not exposed to outside air are not that likely to rust.

The outside can be painted pretty much as an assembled unit, perhaps
using the as-yet unrefinished (but taped off and fitted to the engine)
valve cover as a mask for the valve train area. As for the paint itself,
I usually just grab a can of whatever brand of engine paint is available
that day at the local auto parts emporium. It's likely that one can will
do your Spitfire engine. (Well, two cans: you'll need silver for the
valve cover.)

I remember seeing brand-new BMC Austin Americas in the dealer's lot
circa 1970. On these, it appeared that the entire power unit was painted
after assembly. Generator, spark plugs, etc., all had the same green
paint on them. I don't think Triumph did this.

> If you don't agree, that's fine with me. If we all swam together like
> a school of fish, this would be a pretty boring world, wouldn't it?

...and Amphicars would be in much wider use (and discussion on this
list)! :-)

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *