Re: Valve Cover Color

To: Killjoy <killjoy@norden1.com>
Subject: Re: Valve Cover Color
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 13:27:28 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: Ralph Jannelli <rjannelli@uncc.campus.mci.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 9 May 1996, Killjoy wrote:

> ....Is the GM color you mention metallic?  Is it "engine paint?"
> Will it matter on a valve cover?

On a valve cover, it shouldn't matter whether or not you use engine
paint, so long as it is a decent quality paint. I don't know about the
GM color, but the original paint was a metallic.

> I guess that back in the sixties, a metallic gold valve cover was worth
> another two or three horsepower, wouldn't you say?  ;-)   I'm still
> trying to decide if that's going back to the original color.

You'll never know for sure unless you get a spare valve cover and paint
it a nonmetallic color, then try each and compare the results. Later
Spitfire 1500 valve covers were red; how much power did THOSE engines
have? :-)

> What color was original on the block and the head?  The oil pan?  The
> valve guides were left bare metal, weren't they?

Everything else on the engine would have been black originally. I can't
say for sure about those pushrod tubes, though, being painted or not.

FWIW: I have seen a couple of 948cc Triumph (Standard) 10 engines that were
all gold/copper/bronze/whatever you wish to call the color; I've not
seen this on anything later than the 10, though.

> I'm considering doing the car in a "Lego" theme, with each part being a
> primary color, in sort of a semi random mix.  This is unlikely...  I
> guess it depends on what kind of mood I'm in on the day I buy the first
> can of paint.

This is kind of what my Herald 948 saloon looks like bodywise. Basically
a yellow car, but at least one "A" post shows Coffee under flaking
yellow paint. One door is black, and the current bonnet is a poor BRG
repaint over Signal Red. The front splash pan (not currently on the car)
is a combination of black with some grey primer.

--Andy

Andrew Mace
10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant
Vintage Triumph Register