Re: slightly bent hubs...any problem?

To: DLMAssoc@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: slightly bent hubs...any problem?
From: Nickbk@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 21:14:51 -0400
Don-
You ask about a problem if the hub is bent...

Now how does that go again..."The hip bone connected to the thigh bone, the
thigh bone connected to the ..." well you get the idea. Let's just look at
one facet of this problem. The face of the hub forms the register and backing
for the brake drum. Now lets assume that the "bend" in the hub is 1/4" or so,
the wheel is 15" in diameter and the tire adds another 5" or so, and the hub
itself is about 6" in diameter. Since the drum will be sitting level on the
opposite side of the hub from the "bend", there is about a total
of a 18" lever arm which means there will be more than 1/2" of
wobble at the tread, due to the "bend".
Okay, so there are really three equidistant "bends" and the drum will sit on
the three little points of the "bends" and be true. In this
scenario, the drum is supported only by the tips of the "bends", not the full
circumference of the hub. Any idea of what sort of side force the latest
triple throw down sticky tire is gonna generate ?
Now imagine that side force acting on a flexible wheel/drum combination that
 is supported by the tips of three little "bends".

I don't think we have to go into the equation:
       4 bolts + 3 "bends" + torque wrench = twisted wheel

Nor do we even have to contemplate the stress dynamics generated internally
on that poor little hub (yes they do break -
voice of experience here- just where the face of the hub meets the funky
large "threaded" section.

So, fellow SOL'ers...I think what Don actually wanted to post was:

Wanted: straight rear hub for TR4 for steel wheel car.

Seriously, I do believe this to be a hazard, and wouldn't try this at home.
Retire that hub and write it off to a learning experience.

                                            Seriosly bent myself
                                                      Nick