Re[3]: driving tests, speed limits, etc

To: kramling@tony.bc.edu, Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Subject: Re[3]: driving tests, speed limits, etc
From: jim.sudduth@autodesk.com
Date: Wed, 08 May 96 11:16:34 PST
Cc: PxA5%EngPpl%GS@go50.comp.pge.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
     I'm new to the Triumphs mailbox, so if this has been discussed before
     lemme know:

     I agree with Mr. Petrolati 110%! At 16 I was immortal. The only reason
     I survived past 20 to write this email was dumb luck. I desperately
     needed to know what my limits were and what the results of my "speed
     experiments" could be before I killed myself or someone else.

     And now for a favorite rant of mine :-) - I think this kind of
     training should be extended, in some form, to anyone who gets a
     license. Every day we see evidence that people who have been driving
     for years, and think they know what they're doing, don't even know the
     basics like how to enter and exit a freeway. I don't know how many
     times I've seen, and been stuck behind, people entering freeways at 35
     mph or even stopping on entrance ramps to wait for an opportunity to
     enter the traffic stream. I'm sure we all could give many examples of
     behavior that is obstructive and dangerous and caused mainly by many
     driver's ignorance of how to fit into a traffic stream and what their
     vehicles are capable of.

     We need to wake American drivers up when they're driving. I've driven
     in a number of other countries and while they may drive faster and
     often more recklessly, at least drivers in other countries seem to pay
     more attention to what they're doing. Yeah yeah I know it varies a lot
     from country to country, but the spaceyness of American drivers makes
     me crazy sometimes!

     And I also think we in this country should go to a system like that
     used in many other countries where the left lane is **clearly and
     explcitly** reserved for those who wish to go fast and drivers in that
     lane are obligated to get out of the way of faster traffic. The
     current "system" we have is a mess and results in many stupid,
     dangerous and unnecessary situations being created by those who think
     they can just putt-putt along anywhere on the road at any speed they
     choose.

     End of rant.

     jims@autodesk.com
     74 TR6