Spitfire 1500: Rod Bearing Exchange

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire 1500: Rod Bearing Exchange
From: "M. Schwemmle" <markus@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 5 May 1996 15:53:48 -0700 (PDT)
Hi!

I just bought a 75' Spitfire 6 weeks ago and I was working on it since
then. At least the brakes are working, the clutch cylinders are rebuilt.
I even mastered the Washington Emissions Test so the car is now
'legalized'.

Recently I noticed that the engine produces some kind of klicking sound
after starting it, just for 2-3 seconds and not very loud. My friend who
has a Austin Healey and actually lit my fire for LBC's suggested the
diagnosis, that the rod bearings are worn out as these are too weak.
According to the odometer the engine has about 100.000 miles, but it is
running smoothly and last time I adjusted the valves, no unusual signs of
wear were seen. I decided after reading all kinds of materials to post
this question on the list, just to get some ideas and hands-on
experiences:

Did anybody exchange the rod bearings on a 1500? Are there any very tricky
parts or
hints how to avoid any 'accidents' during the procedure? As I'm going to
remove the oil pan and try to change the rod bearings without lifting the
engine out, are there any major problems?

I know that it might be better to have the complete engine rebuilt but I'm
going back to Germany after this summer anyway. I need a solution that
guarantees that the engine will last through the Summer (and a tour
through the US from North to South on the West Coast). Sooner or later I'm
taking the car back to Germany anyway and then I'll have the complete
engine rebuilt and the car completely restored including a new paint job.
But until then I'd like to put about 15.000 - 20.000 miles on it.

Any opinions, suggestions?

Thanks - have a good day

Markus