re: tr-6 transmission rebuild

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: tr-6 transmission rebuild
From: wsachse@ncinter.net (Bill Sachse)
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 20:43:48 -0500
I completed my first transmission overhaul last winter- an all synchro for
my Tr-3 and would like to add a few things that I learned.  The best tool I
had to disassemble was my cutting torch.  I dis-assembled 2 trannys to get
one good one.  DPO #1 had left a nyloc nut and part of the stud for the
reverse shift thingy in the case and it acted kind of like a bullet- there
was this interesting hole in the case from the inside out that had to be
tig-welded before I could use the case.  The first one I took apart had a
big chunk broken off the bellhousing where the slave cylinder bolts on
(DPO#2).  This makes a compelling case for replacing all the little
brackets etc when reassembling something.  I'm sure that the missing brace
from the bottom of the slave cyl plate to the oil pan bolt will prevent
this kind of damage.  At any rate, the first one came apart fairly
uneventfully but the second one(the bullet hole case) was very difficult.
I had to torch the inner mainshaft brng off as no amount of pounding would
free it up.  I was able to cut it off without nicking the shaft.  If you
get to this point and can't get the brng loose find a friend to cut it off
rather than risk damage to the shaft or possibly the case itself from
pounding on everything.  The other torch trick I commited to early on was
to cut the snap-rings instead of trying to save them.  The books call for a
special tool for removal and install but taking them off is worse than
re-installing them.  Cut the ring - it's much easier.  Another DPO story
fits in here as one of them had the shift collar in backwards- what a
ground up mess that was.  Mark all your parts for front to rear orientation
to save much investigation and trial/error later.  I've been doing cars
forever but this was my first transmission overhaul and it went quite well
thank you- quiet, shifts good and no jumping out of gear.  My next project
-67 Tr 4-A- needs some help in  the second gear department so with this
experince I can jump right in!

                                        Bill Sachse