plugged water passages & wiper motors - TR4

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (triumph cars list)
Subject: plugged water passages & wiper motors - TR4
From: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies)
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 12:05:59 +0100 (BST)
hi

A long standing (and hence forgotten) fault on my TR4 is that the engine drain
tap
which lives down below the carbs has never produced any coolant. The heater
has now stopped working & the heater cable to the control valve snapped at the
same time - I've go the valve in On mode but still no heat. Concidence? Hmmm.
Also, the car has been running a bit hotter these past few months. I suspect
its all
bunged up.

My plan is to attempt to a) drain the radiator b) attach a garden hose to
various
points in the system to try to flush it all out. Apart from that, the car runs
fine.

Any clues?

I'm thinking of installing a TR6 wiper motor in place of the existing one.
Has anyone tried this? It means fabing new mounts, alas. I'm told that
the TR6 wiper motor is common to a large number of British Leyland vehicles.
The present TR4 wiper motor decided to exhibit strange symptoms & suck excessive
amounts of current last year. I stripped it down & it was in remarkably g
ood condition, which surprised me somwhat. Maybe the mechanish decided bind,
but it
seems ok, and is currently behaving itself. Funnily enough, it went wrong just
as I was congratulating myself on having ironed all the bugs out ofthe car!

--

Regards, Adrian + TR4
        asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk