Re: Nuts and Bolts <951007095917_38609659@mail04.mail.aol.co

To: JHarroun@aol.com
Subject: Re: Nuts and Bolts <951007095917_38609659@mail04.mail.aol.com>
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 1995 15:21:29 PDT
Cc: FNSortwell@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, kerch@parc.xerox.com
>>>JHarroun@aol.com said:
 > Fred,
 >
 > I don't know about your TR-4, but my TR-3 has Whitworth hardware.  It is
very
 > similar to American fine thread, but the tip of the threads, and the root of
 > the nuts are rounded instead of being sharp.

Please note: though Whitworth thread profiles are "similar", the shank sizes
and
thread pitches are different.  You cannot interchange Whitworth and SAE
hardware.

SAE tools won't fit Whitworth hardware either.  If you have a car with
Whitworth fittings, spring for the proper tools.  It'll save you hours of
sworking.

 > I don't have the catalog at
 > home, but there arre sources for whitworth hardware if you want to get
really
 > picky about originality.

Sometimes it's not a question of "originality".  Sure, if you have a
bolt/n/nut holding two flanges, any old style will do.

But if you need a nut to go on the stud that's brazed into your Mk VI Bently
gearbox mount, only Whitworth will do.

 > You are lucky you don't have a mid-70's Spitfire.  They had Whitworth,
 > American Standard and Metric all on the same car!

Some Volvos were like that too: metric bodies, SAE engines and Whitworth on
the SU carbs.  Fun fun fun...

I have tools to fit all three by now.  Thank goodness I just bought a bigger
toolbox.

  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center