Re: Fan Belt / Alternator Pulley

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fan Belt / Alternator Pulley
From: egilk@oslonett.no (Egil Kvaleberg)
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 1995 15:09:52 +0200
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
In article <Pine.A32.3.91.950820074839.7240C-100000@oak.lhup.edu>,
Robert Quiggle <rquiggle@oak.lhup.edu> wrote:
>     You can remove the pulley nut with a 1/2" drive air impact tool and the
> proper size impact socket.  When you use this method you should be able
> to hold the pulley with your hand and a grease rag.

What a splendid idea! The traditional method is to place an old
fan belt around the pulley, and tighten up the belt around the pulley
in a vice. This will normally allow enough tension to be applied to
the nut, once you get the hang of it. Once the nut is loose, the pulley
might need a little convincing to get off too. Do not use a puller,
though, it will distort the fan belt groove.

Egil

PS: The Triumph 2000 home page does not seem to be available today,
probably in connection with the ISP moving house this weekend. I hope
it will be up and running tomorrow.

--
Email: egilk@oslonett.no  Voice: +47 22523641/92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway