Spitfire suspension rebuild

Subject: Spitfire suspension rebuild
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 1995 21:26:55 -0400 (EDT)
  Ok, since my spitfire is making quite a lot of bearing noise, I've decided
not to drive it until I can get a look at the bearings.  Since it's parked,
I've started to dig into the front suspension, which needs rebuilding.
  Two questions for all you who have done this before:

1) How the $%#)/*! does one get the grease cap off the wheel hub? In a fit
of frustration I've managed to destroy the one on the drivers side. It still
isn't off the hub, but it's suficiently mangled that I could remove the
split pin and nut and remove the hub from the car.  I'm currently praying
that it'll still come off now that its mangled and that a new one will be
easy to get my hands on.

2) Any trick to removing the various old bushings?  I didn't really give it
a good attempt yet, just removed the bolt from the bottom of the shock and
the bushing seems like it's wedged in there real good.  Also, is it going to
be hard to get the new ones in?

                                        Jeremy DuBois
                                        Programmer/System Administrator
                                        Thermalogic Corporation