Re: RHD '66 TR4A

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, amace@unix2.nysed.gov
Subject: Re: RHD '66 TR4A
From: Marcus Tooze <tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 15:00:27 -0500

> > > ...What problems does RHD [TR4A] raise as far
> > > as parts availability, resale value, problems with the DMV, etc.?
> > > Any info is appreciated.
> >
> > Dan replies:
>
> > >  Differences can include:
> >
> >    - Accelerator linkage
> >    - Speedo and Tach cable lengths
> >    - Column switch labels (turn signal on other side, arrows
> >         point in opposite direction)
> >    - Column lighting switch itself is a different part...
> >    - Carpets need different cutouts and heel mat on other side.
> > >
> Items such as the steering rack assembly also are likely to be different
> for RHD as well. But Dan is right, differences were not that great. It's
> just slightly possible that someone at some state DMV office could get
> upset if the windshield glass is not the proper type (the U.S. and/or
> most states were well ahead of Europe in requiring the laminated safety
> glass, I think) or some lamp lenses are not U.S. DoT spec., but that's
> unlikely.> Andy Mace

Nope. A 1966 car is exempt from all standards because there were no
standards in US for anything then (Apart from in CA, there are smog test for
'64 and above, no?).

You can import a pre-'67 car from anywhere in the world by any manufacturer
and you are safe from all the safety crap. It says so in my
US Customs import handbook for the U.S.

Furthermore, it sounds  like the car already has a CA or other state title,
so it's already been regeistered for american roads....no hassles.

Marcus