TR6 Rear End ?'s

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Rear End ?'s
From: TinyHost@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 May 1995 11:31:29 -0400
Well, folks, here's my TR6 "questions du jour"...

I adjusted the rear brakes yesterday (Saturday) to a) try to get the
handbrake to work better, and b) try to reduce a minor pull to the left
when braking. (Not too much success with either...) But I noticed
something that was mildly disturbing: when I jacked up the left rear
tire I noticed some "slop" in the wheel. At first I thought that the
lugnuts weren't tightened down, but they were. I removed the wheel and
found that there is some play in the driveshaft with regard to the
differential - I can get about 1/16" or so of travel when pushing /
pulling the wheel to and from the differential. I also noticed a
"clunk" when I would turn the  wheel in one direction then immediately
reverse it. I do not notice any noise whatsoever when driving the car.
So, to the questions: 1) What's causing this noise, and 2) How
dangerous is it to drive the car like this?

On a much more positive note, I did finally get to drive the car on a
nice, warm spring day with the top down. Now THAT'S reason enough to
have bought the car and to put up with it's idiosyncracies! I haven't
had a rush like that since I started riding motorcycles!

        Bruce Krobusek
        Rochester   NY
       tinyhost@aol.com
          '83 R80RT