What have I done?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: What have I done?
From: "Doug Mitchell" <doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 08:30:56 -0400
Did I screw up again?

First, after pulling the engine on Friday, I saw the pile of crud
on the frame of the Spit, so I decided to scrape it off. I took off
about 3-4 lbs of greasy-oily dirt. Have I removed my rust prevention?

Second. After getting the trans bolted back to the engine, I put the
headers and dual-carbs on in place of the stock set up. This is where
I have a real problem. Throttle linkage isn't a problem, that went on
quite easily. Choke linkage is a problem. Does anyone have any insight
as to how the choke on the late model Spit dual carb works? I connected
my existing choke cable to the choke, but it doesn't work very well.
My second problem, does any one know where the third connection on the
float bowl goes? I assume that it is an overflow, but it flows all of
the time. Is my inlet blocked open? I am not sure of the model numbers
of the carbs, I know that they are 1.5 inch rather than the 1.25 inch
of the earlier motors. The choke is a rather complex system hanging
from the bottom, not the more simple design of the earlier versions.

Once I got it started, it sounded great, although I didn't want to let
it run too long as I had no coolant in the car, and with the fuel
pouring out of the rear carb, and no exhaust pipe I was concerned with
a backfire.

I hope to have the Grape back on the road by the end of the month.

Doug Mitchell