[Tigers] Centerforce Clutch Shudder

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Centerforce Clutch Shudder
From: <gharlowe@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 19:02:35 -0500

Tiger Team -

The recent question about the activity on this net prompted me to pose a
question to this valuable community.

My Tiger, with less than 15K miles since fresh motor and Centerforce II
clutch installation (albeit 20 yrs ago), has started to shudder
uncomfortably during clutch operation.  I'm able to mitigate the shudder
with careful feathering of the clutch - upping the rpms and letting the
clutch out more carefully, but the previously smooth release isn't there.
The shudder is definitely more noticeable in 1st-2nd gear shifts.

A bit of internet research says the shudder is being caused by
irregular/inconsistent pressure across the surface of the pressure plate and
the clutch needs to be replaced (again, and perhaps properly).  It can also
be caused by contaminants on the pressure plate, causing the same irregular
slippage during rotation.

Is this something that can be minimized through clutch adjustment at the
slave cylinder?   I don't have access to a lift, so would have to take to a
shop to resolve.  Do I bite the bullet and commit to a clutch replacement?

Thanks, team!

Cheers,
Graham Harlowe
B382001466