Re: [Tigers] Distributor -> Oil Pump Shaft

To: rflynn@alum.rpi.edu
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor -> Oil Pump Shaft
From: Gary <garywinblad@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 07:17:49 -0700
Cc: tigers@autox.team.net

--------------3290EBFF164E263F02744534

Missing clip is bad, it can fall into the pan.
You can get the pan off in the car.. I think you might have to take out
the starter and re-gasket it.
I would try more to to re-seat it or get the distributor back first.
It should turn pretty easily when in the pump though, should be some
drag though.
I have a special tool to spin it but a socket should work..  put a drill
on it an see if you can spin it
to get oil pressure.  Drill needs to be on reverse.  You'll get more
resistance at speed.
Gary

On 8/13/2020 5:45 AM, R Flynn via Tigers wrote:
> A bit more diagnostic information
> - when I run a stiff hanger wire down the side of the shaft, I do not
> feel the retaining clip that should be present
> - Beveled edge does visually appear to be at the top
> - There is no residue in the distributor shaft (i.e. does seem like
> the last person in there stuck the shaft into the distributor just to
> get it to seat)
> - I can get a socket on the oil pump shaft and spin it but there is
> zero resistance, not sure if that is normal?
>
> I am a bit concerned that the shaft has come unseated from the oil
> pump at the bottom end given there does not appear to be any retaining
> clip & it leans over against the wall of the hole it is in.
>
> Starting to wonder if I should drop the oil pan (which I believe I can
> do without removing the entire engine, appreciate any input on that)
> and do things properly.
>
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 9:40 PM Gary <garywinblad@comcast.net
>

>     Sometimes they are just difficult...
>

>     IIRC, one time we could see the drive shaft was off to one side.  We
>
>     jacked the car on that side so it leaned to the other side
>

>     which made it more vertical...
>

>     Good luck,
>

>     Gary
>

>     On 8/12/2020 4:47 PM, R Flynn via
>
>     Tigers wrote:
>

>>     In trying to replace the distributor after
>>
>>     changing my intake manifold on the â??65 289 in my Tiger, I am
>>
>>     struggling to get it to slide down over the oil pump shaft,
>>
>>     which seems to be leaning over.
>>

>>     - tried jiggling the rotor
>>

>>     - tried turning the crank with a ratchet while
>>
>>     applying gentle pressure to the distributor, though I was doing
>>
>>     both
>>

>>     - tried using a long socket & extension to put
>>
>>     the oil pump shaft itself in different orientations
>>

>>     My next attempts will involve
>>

>>     - having someone else push down while I turn the
>>
>>     crap with a ratchet
>>

>>     - trying to pack some grease around the shaft with
>>
>>     a screwdriver prior to inserting the distributor to keep the oil
>>
>>     pump shaft more centered
>>

>>     Would welcome any suggestions, solutions, or words
>>
>>     of wisdom.
>>

>>     Cheers in advance,
>>

>>     Rick
>>

>>     --
>>

>>     rick
>>

>>     B9471206: http://www.tigersunited.com/car_show/flynn_r/default.asp

>>     Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
>>
>>     Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers
>> http://autox.team.net/archive

>     Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers
>     http://autox.team.net/archive
>

>     Unsubscribe:
>     http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/flynnr2@gmail.com
>

> --
> rick
> B9471206: http://www.tigersunited.com/car_show/flynn_r/default.asp

--------------3290EBFF164E263F02744534

  <head>
  </head>
    Missing clip is bad, it can fall into the pan.<br>
    You can get the pan off in the car.. I think you might have to take
    out the starter and re-gasket it.<br>
    I would try more to to re-seat it or get the distributor back first.<br>
    It should turn pretty easily when in the pump though, should be some
    drag though.<br>
    I have a special tool to spin it but a socket should work..  put a
    drill on it an see if you can spin it<br>
    to get oil pressure.  Drill needs to be on reverse.  You'll get more
    resistance at speed.<br>
    Gary<br>
      Tigers wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAL1UyNaCpykbacK_4usUbfw9P9tcMFYrpDzZEO5BccfU-MP-yg@mail.gmail.com">
        the shaft, I do not feel the retaining clip that should be
        present</div>
        top</div>
        (i.e. does seem like the last person in there stuck the shaft
        into the distributor just to get it to seat)</div>
        spin it but there is zero resistance, not sure if that is
        normal?</div>
        unseated from the oil pump at the bottom end given there does
        not appear to be any retaining clip &amp; it leans over against
        the wall of the hole it is in.</div>
        (which I believe I can do without removing the entire engine,
        appreciate any input on that) and do things properly.</div>
            PM Gary &lt;<a href="mailto:garywinblad@comcast.net";
              moz-do-not-send="true">garywinblad@comcast.net</a>&gt;
            wrote:<br>
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><br>
              Sometimes they are just difficult...<br>
              IIRC, one time we could see the drive shaft was off to one
              side.  We<br>
              jacked the car on that side so it leaned to the other side<br>
              which made it more vertical...<br>
              Good luck,<br>
              Gary</div>
                Tigers wrote:<br>
                  after<br>
                  changing my intake manifold on the â??65 289 in my
                  Tiger, I am<br>
                  struggling to get it to slide down over the oil pump
                  shaft,<br>
                  which seems to be leaning over.</div>
                  while<br>
                  applying gentle pressure to the distributor, though I
                  was doing<br>
                  both</div>
                  extension to put<br>
                  the oil pump shaft itself in different orientations</div>
                  turn the<br>
                  crap with a ratchet</div>
                  shaft with<br>
                  a screwdriver prior to inserting the distributor to
                  keep the oil<br>
                  pump shaft more centered</div>
                  solutions, or words<br>
                  of wisdom.</div>
                -- <br>
                  B9471206: <a

href="http://www.tigersunited.com/car_show/flynn_r/default.asp";
                    target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.tigersunited.com/car_show/flynn_r/default.asp</a></div>
                <fieldset></fieldset>
                <pre>_______________________________________________

moz-do-not-send="true">tigers@autox.team.net</a>

Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers"; target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a> <a
href="http://autox.team.net/archive"; target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/garywinblad@comcast.net";
target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/garywinblad@comcast.net</a>

</pre>
              moz-do-not-send="true">tigers@autox.team.net</a><br>
            Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
            Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers";
              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a>
              target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
            Unsubscribe: <a

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/flynnr2@gmail.com";
              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/flynnr2@gmail.com</a><br>
      -- <br>
        data-smartmail="gmail_signature">rick<br>
        B9471206: <a
          href="http://www.tigersunited.com/car_show/flynn_r/default.asp";
          target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.tigersunited.com/car_show/flynn_r/default.asp</a></div>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>tigers@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a>
 <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/archive";>http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/garywinblad@comcast.net";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/garywinblad@comcast.net</a>

</pre>

--------------3290EBFF164E263F02744534--

--===============5678930215223077771==