Re: Rear End Gear Ratios

To: <RMEbstein@aol.com>, <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Rear End Gear Ratios
From: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:50:19 -0800
Today I have a nearly stock 260 with headers and a 4 barrel carb.
Close ratio toploader and 3.23:1 gears.

The car launches nicely and gears are nice and close together.
Freeway driving is not a lot of fun.
Cruising with traffic at 75 puts the tach up 3500 rpm.
When I go out for a "spirited drive" with my friends in their Cobras and
Vipers, the tach explores the far side of 4000 rpm for way too much time.

This Xmas break I will be swapping the gears in the tranny for wide ratios.

Then I will be on the lookout for stock 2.88 gears to get my hiway cruising
back.

I am fortunate that I have a friend with a Mustang who wants close ratio
gears in his vintage race car.  So I get gears for the price of a rebuild
kit. Sweeeeeeeeet.

Erich