so, here's the deal... ELVF (long story)

To: <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: so, here's the deal... ELVF (long story)
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 20:20:54 -0500
Y'all,

So, what if I told you we have a reason to attend the dinner at Siebkens
Sat. night at Elkhart? Heresy? Stone the infidel? Thompson have you lost
your f'ing mind? (Don't answer that...)

Sucker that I am, I agreed to help Squirrelly Shirley Murray with some last
minute details for the ELVF  race... you know, important shit like "the
guest of honor"...

Since Healey's the featured marque, I thought it made sense to have a famous
Healey Works driver. The problem is, many, most even, are gone. I just saw
the obit today on Lance Macklin.. the Healey driver involved in the tragedy
at LeMans in '55. So, I suggested John Sprinzel. Many of you know of John...
but for those that don't, here's a little bio...

"John Sprinzel's name is synonymous with Sprites in a golden age of
motorsports. In the latter 1950s he drove Austin saloons and then Sprites on
the European road rally circuit, and he later went on to drive for many
factory rally teams including Triumph, Saab, Rover and BMC. He has been a
motoring correspondent, is the author of 'Modified Motoring', 'Sleepless
Knights', and 'Spritely Years', and he even did a stint as a TV commentator
on rallycross.

John also founded "Speedwell Performance Conversions," and he later worked
for the Donald Healey Motor Company for a time, running the Speed Equipment
Division there. He subsequently founded his own tuning company where he
developed and built the Sebring Sprite.

John retired in 1973 and took up windsurfing professionally until 1989, and
he has lived in Hawaii since 1983, and by the way, he drives a Bugeye
Sprite."

So, in addition to being a Sprite driver (we are the coolest), he's got
Sebring & LeMans experience, and also factory experience with some other
popular marques... which ought to endear him to some of the non-Healey folks
as well.

I don't know John, but I looked up his number in Hawaii, and sent this to
his fax...

"Hello John,
Please forgive me for this method of introduction and invitation, but I'm
contacting you on behalf of the Vintage Sportscar Driver's Association
regarding their Vintage Fall Festival at Road America in Elkhart Lake,
Wisconsin on Sept. 20th-22nd. Healey is the featured marque, celebrating the
50th anniversary. Due to some internal communication issues, they've
neglected to seek an honored guest for the race weekend in a timely fashion,
and I've been asked to step in and find a qualified candidate.
Please visit www.vscda.org for more information on the club.
I've been a Healey owner since my high school days in the early 70's, and
have been vintage racing Sprites for a dozen years or so. I got to know
Geoff Healey pretty well, and Roger Menadue has been by house guest here in
Illinois a number of times, and I've stayed at his home in Cornwall.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading "the Spritely Years", as your perspective and
candor made the reading a breath of fresh air compared to most other
offerings. I suggested that you'd make a great "honored guest" if you were
able to participate on such short notice. Obviously the club would take care
of transportation & hotel costs, and any other issues needed to get you to
Wisconsin.
The Elkhart Lake Vintage Fall Festival is relaxed weekend, with a great
group of people. Driving skills are quite good compared to other race
organizations I've run with. The beautiful early fall setting at Road
America is breathtaking. And. if you still have the need for speed, you'd be
more than welcome to co-drive my Sprite for the weekend.
I apologize again for such a late invitation, but hope that you might
consider the offer. I can be reached via e-mail at wsthompson@thicko.com, or
at the phone numbers listed above.
Sincerely,
Wm. Severin Thompson"

So, today, I received word he'd be happy to be the Guest of Honor. F'ing
cool!. Details are not yet worked out, so this house of cards could topple
easily, but, it looks like y'all might have a reason to forego our Sat.
night foodfest to hear the wit and wisdom of one of the best. As soon as
it's a done deal, I'd like to really get the word out on this.

WST